Child Abduction

Family Law

Child Abduction

Child abduction, in the context of a marriage separation or a divorce, is used to describe the removal or concealment of a child from its family, either within the same country (for example, by parents) or internationally, often with intent to obstruct parental access and reduce contact.

In jurisdictions which have laws about international child abduction, this is usually defined under treaty obligations relating specifically to children taken across borders without appropriate consent being given by all parties involved – including both minors themselves and their legal guardians (in cases where they are not considered “emancipated”).

When situations as such happen, it can be extremely stressful and highly contentious, and there is a need for family lawyers to be called in. They will usually be required by one of the parties involved in order to represent them legally during court proceedings.

Only family law attorneys specialising in these areas should ever handle family litigation because it requires both experiences and a deep understanding of the cases involving child abduction.

What is the legal process when it comes to child abduction?

A parent may file a petition in court if they feel their child was wrongfully taken across state lines by an ex-spouse. The parties will need to provide evidence showing why the person has custody over the child as well as sufficient justification for taking them out of the country without consent from both parents. Unfortunately, there are no fast fixes when it comes time for international abductions so your best bet is figuring out how much money you have set aside because proceedings could take years before being resolved especially if one party refuses cooperation.

When a child has been taken across borders without appropriate consent being given by all parties involved, there may be a need for an international family abduction lawyer to help resolve this issue and they can provide assistance in sorting out what needs to be done next as well as how much time it will likely take before there is any resolution. After all, no matter where in the world contact takes place, laws still apply equally across national borders and influence how people must act accordingly.

Your family abduction lawyer may need to contact authorities overseas and initiate an investigation in a way that would help locate and return the child. This can be done by initiating proceedings with them via other means (i.e email) or through another court system such as Interpol or The Hague Convention on Child Abduction which ensures international cooperation between courts who are involved in these cases of abduction.

In addition, they may advise speaking directly with that person if it is safe to do so and see if there was another motive behind their actions like abuse.

Fortunately, with the proper legal representation, you could potentially get back your child sooner than expected.

What is the Hague Convention on Child Abduction?

The Hague Convention on Child Abduction is an international treaty that provides a legal framework for the return to his or her home country of any child under 16 years old who has been wrongfully removed.

The Convention applies when a child crosses an international border, regardless of whether they are accompanied or not, as long as at least one of the parents is either a citizen or resident in such country.

The Hague Convention defines “wrongful removal” as a parent taking a child who has been lawfully entrusted to them and wrongfully retaining that child for at least one month within any six-month period after being confronted with an order granting custody of the child to another person. If this happens, authorities will work together to locate and return the abducted child immediately – even if it means crossing international borders (except when doing so would put either party’s life in danger).

The Hague Convention on Child Abduction provides a mechanism for tracking and returning children, as well as giving each court jurisdiction over issues arising from custody disputes involving children residing within their territory. It is also designed to make proceedings less expensive through its liberal approach to enforcing orders across borders (with some exceptions). This means that parents can go back to one court system at any time during the process if they feel justice isn’t being served in another. Parents are not limited to bringing the case to court in their home country, but they must do so if the children are currently residing there.

Right now, the Hague Convention is only enforced by countries which have signed on voluntarily. That’s why parents should talk with family law attorneys before fleeing across state lines.


Frequently Asked Questions

Child abduction refers to the wrongful removal or retention of a child by one parent or guardian without the consent of the other parent or guardian, in violation of their custody or access rights.

The legal remedies available in cases of child abduction include seeking the return of the child under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, applying for a court order to prevent the child from being removed from the country, or seeking a court order for the return of the child.

The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is an international treaty that provides a mechanism for the prompt return of children who have been wrongfully removed or retained across international borders.

To prevent your child from being abducted, you can seek a court order preventing the child from being removed from the country, or obtain a court order giving you sole custody or restricting the other parent’s access rights.

If your child has been abducted, you should contact the police immediately and seek legal advice from a family law solicitor. You may also need to apply for a court order for the return of the child or seek assistance under the Hague Convention.

The court will consider a range of factors, including the child’s best interests, the reasons for the abduction or retention, the child’s wishes and feelings, and any risk of harm to the child.

Legal aid is available in cases of child abduction, subject to eligibility criteria. You should speak to a family law solicitor to find out if you are eligible.

If your child has been taken to another country, you may be able to seek their return under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, subject to the laws and procedures of the relevant countries.

A family law solicitor can provide you with expert legal advice and representation in cases of child abduction, including advising you on your legal rights and options, helping you to obtain court orders, and representing you in court proceedings.

If you are concerned that your child may be at risk of abduction, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible. A family law solicitor can advise you on the steps you can take to protect your child and prevent them from being abducted.

Book A Consultation for your case

Book a consultation for your case with one of our family lawyers. Initial consultation £250 including VAT or 20-minute free conversation by telephone. You will be working with a specialist divorce solicitor who is dedicated to your needs from day one. Let us help you get through this tough time so that you can focus on moving forward with your life as quickly as possible.

*Disclaimer: This website copy is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.
For personalised legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances, book an initial consultation with our family law solicitors HERE.